Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups wheat cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon all spice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 9X12 pan.
- Combine the dates, boiling water and baking powder in a dish and soak for 15 minutes, or until the dates soften.
- While the dates soften, combine the sugar, flours, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and all spice. Add in the egg, vanilla, and laban.
- Puree date mixture and fold it into the flour mixture.
- Pour in the pan and smooth the mixture.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the cake and comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool slightly before cutting.
Recipe by Mom de Cuisine at http://momdecuisine.net/2012/10/25/spiced-date-cake/