|Queso Mac and Cheese ||
Prep time: 2 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 22 mins
- 2 cups ruffled pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons milk, depending on desired sauce consistency
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh cilantro anto garnish
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the noodles. Cook until al-dente and drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a heavy-bottom sauce pan. Add the flour and whisk 1-2 minutes. Slowly add the vegetable stock, 1/4 cup at a time, whisking in between each addition.
- Add the cumin and ancho chili powder and cook 2-3 minutes to allow sauce to thicken.
- Add the cheeses and whisk again until smooth. Add the desired amount of milk (more for a thinner sauce.) Pour cheese sauce over the pasta. Garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Mom de Cuisine at http://momdecuisine.net/2012/09/05/queso-mac-and-cheese/