Feelin’ Hot, Hot Hot
Party People, All Around Me
Feelin’ Hot, Hot, Hot
Over the last week, every time I leave the house, it’s already in the 90s by 9am and I sing that ’80′s Buster Poindexter song to myself-and try to refrain from doing a little dance.
Almost over night it went from a chilly 70 degrees (what, that IS cold!) to high’s in the triple digits every day-and I love it! We have spent almost every minute we can soaking up this hazardously high heat. A few times, we’ve even let the kids jump in the pool in their pajamas; it’s just that hot that early.
So now that the heat of the desert has finally come back, I made a little pool-side treat for me and the kids. I made a granita based off of one of my kid’s favorite local juices: kiwi lime. It was light, refreshing, healthy and (most importantly) bikini friendly!
|Kiwi Lime Granita||
- 4 kiwi fruit; skin removed and roughly chopped
- 3 limes, zested and juiced
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey
- Bring the water to a boil and stir in the honey until it’s dissolved. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours.)
- Combine the chopped kiwi, lime juice, and lime zest in a food processor. Puree to desired consistency*
- Stir together the kiwi lime mixture and honey-water. Put mixture into a large, rimmed glass dish. Freeze 4-5 hours, scraping the ice with a fork every 30 minutes, until the granita is the texture of a slightly more frozen slushy.
- Scoop granita into a freezer safe container. Serve immediately or keep for up to 2 weeks in the freezer.
*I liked to be able to still see the kiwi seeds so I didn’t puree it until smooth. If you don’t want the seeds, you can strain the mixture through a sieve.